I know I'm a few weeks late on pregnancy updates, and I have some funny stories I want to share from work. However, the last few days have been a constant roller coaster of emotions for this little heart of mine. Most of you probably know by now, but early Wednesday morning I was awakened by a text from my best friend from Marshall. It had a picture of a Facebook status that read:
"Please be in prayer for our family as well as three others... My oldest son James Morgan, his boss and 2 pilots were scheduled to land a single engine 4-seater plane in Casper, Wyoming at 4 pm today. We have not heard from any of them and their plane is missing. Please take the time right now to pray for them"
James was a classmate of mine in high school. The guy who never met a stranger or enemy. He loved to hunt and loved to play baseball. His smile was infectious and was so appropriately nicknamed "Beautiful" by some of the Mavettes when he served as a manager our senior year. J-Mo was an all-around great guy -- a Christ-follower who radiated His love, and a loyal husband and father. He was my birthday buddy and every August 31st, we would call, text or Facebook each other to gloat that we would always be the youngest of our high school class!
Brad and I were getting ready to pack up and leave for Charleston that morning, but I found myself completely distracted. I forwarded the text to my parents -- both of whom knew James and really liked him. Dad always talked about (and still does) an incredible catch James made during a Maverick game he was broadcasting. Everytime he saw James, he brought that play up, they laughed and reminisced and went on with their conversation. I couldn't help buy cry. What about his wife, Ashley? And Kiptyn, their son? I mean, he's only 2 and may never truly know his earthly father.
The next few days, I witnessed an incredible thing happen in our small hometown. Facebook was the ultimate outlet for updates as James's mom and uncle gave us all frequent updates. A separate page was created for this very reason and within 24 hours had thousands of followers. By Thursday night, a prayer vigil was planned, t-shirts had been made and ordered and a the number of people calling on God for help quickly rose all around the country. Wyoming residents joined in, the Sheriff's departments were overwhelmingly helpful to the families and political representatives from both Texas and Wyoming reached out to offer their assistance.
For 48 hours, people all over the world came together with prayers of hope in finding these men (the "Heroic Four" as they would later be named) alive in the mountains of Wyoming. However, within minutes of the conclusion of the Marshall prayer vigil, news that the plane was found with no survivors hit. An immediate outpouring of support, encouragement and sorrow overtook the Facebook page. How does a 29-year old woman get through the loss of her husband and son's father? How does a mother comprehend losing her 29-year old son? The "why" and "how" and "but God, really" questions began pouring out of my mind almost as quickly as the tears. Those are questions I may never have an answer to until I face God one day. It is not my job to understand. It is my job, however, to reflect on my own relationships and take advantage of the time I have now with the people I love. It is my job to lean on the Father. To pray for strength. To have faith in His divine plan. To talk to Him constantly. Because that's what He wants -- us. A friend on FB made the comment that she feels "sometimes prayer doesn't seem like enough". My answer to that was this: we will never understand or know all of the consequences or outcomes of our prayers. Only God knows that. All we can do is continue to pray, to have faith and to call on Him.
Tracy (James's mom) and Ashley (his wife) are incredible women of faith. Their strength and faith alone have truly touched hundreds, if not thousands, of people. One thing is for sure. People say God doesn't take you until you have accomplished your purpose in life. James's purpose in life is still ongoing as people come together in Christian unity to support his family and friends. Thousands of people were touched by his life and that is something we can all hope for.
One last thought...when people here in Houston (whether at work, church or in life) ask why Brad and I want to move to a small town, this is one fine example I will share. There's something about small communities of people (and the community of FAITH) that you cannot find elsewhere.
Thank you, Lord, for 29 awesome years of sharing James with us!
Park City Utah
4 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment