Thursday, January 15, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

Well, the new year is in full swing and because you're supposed to make resolutions, here they are:

1. Be less busy. Last year, I honestly think we had a total of THREE weekends when I was off work and we had NOWHERE to be. We spent a lot of time in the car traveling to some place to plan the wedding, visit family, watch football, etc. Either way, we spent that time together, but it was exhausting for us both. So, this year? More free weekends. But don't plan any visits to see us anytime soon because our weekends are full through February ;)

2. Run more. Brad has always trumped me here, but the plan is for me to join him everyday I'm off. So far, not too shabby. Now that I have running shoes that actually fit, I'm doing better. Did I tell you that the shoe "expert" fit me into an 11.5?!?! I thought I was going to cry when I bought the pair of 11s. But a half size even larger?!? Expert, schmexpert. I'm up to [almost] three miles without too many issues. I'm still battling the self-diagnosed exercise-induced asthma attacks when my lungs decide to fail me, but my inhaler has come in handy. The GOAL: 10K in February; half-marathon before the year ends.

3. More Bible study. We started a Nearlywed/Newlywed Sunday School at church last year that is intended to be a one-year study/commitment. We've already attender for 14 months, but missed about half of the lessons because, well, see number 1. I've also started a weekly women's study at the church and am really focused on being the best God-honoring wife I can be. Not as easy as one would think.

4. Pay off debt. Ideally, we would like to be debt-free by the end of the year. Realistically, we will hope to pay off half our debt. Brad and I are both VERY blessed with good-paying jobs and are learning how to spend it appropriately. 10% to savings, 10% to the Church and the rest to live and pay Sallie Mae.

We love being married, but I think as many couples do, we are learning things about ourselves and each other we never knew before. As our Bible study teacher said last week, we have need buckets that we're expecting our new mate to fill and fill and fill until it's spilling over. These expectations are not met and we begin the "poor, pitiful me that needs more from him/her" attitude that can become detrimental to a marriage. Instead of seeing our mate as the cup to fill our bucket, we should see him/her as the sponge that squeezes itself dry (until it recharges) trying to put some drops of water into the bucket. And instead of asking them to squeeze a little bit harder next time, we should be thankful that they're squeezing at all. Instead of focusing on our needs being completely met by some imperfect human, we need to focus on the One that can meet our needs His way and not the way we think they should be met. So the last goal is to grow stronger together in the arms of a God that knows us better than we will ever know ourselves.

Blessings to you in 2009!
B&M

1 comment:

Sara said...

I am just now catching up on your blog. I love your posts! Can't wait to see you guys this weekend!