Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Someone's got a case of the Mondays

Well, we changed our plans a bit for Monday mainly due to the weather. The high yesterday was 30 and I didn't really see us enjoying a ferry ride to Ellis when it was 24 degrees outside. So instead, we decided to stroll 5th Avenue.

After walking to the Subway station to grab our 7-day unlimited Subway and bus pass, we started down 34th toward 5th. Stopped in at KMart to pick up Brad a scarf and me some trouser socks. I'm not sure what I was thinking wearing ballet flats that exposed the tops of my feet and let air into my toes. Next up? Macy's!

7 stories of Christmas-decorated bliss! Every time I looked up, I saw something new. I have pictures of the window decorations, but they're on the other camera.

We started up Broadway, then cut across to 5th. We stopped in at Blaggard's Pub for lunch. It was warm inside and had food. That's all that mattered. And because we're starting a new life together, I thought I would start trying some new things out. So folks, I had my first burger in YEARS. It wasn't beef, it was ground chicken. And they did a VERY good job of conjealing it so I couldn't even tell it was ground.
The next 3 hours were spent on 5th avenue peeking in windows and ocassionally making our way into a store when the wind was too cold to bear. The window decorations were awesome and all seemed to follow a trend, displaying a story or their Christmas favorites. Cartier's was creative -- a solid wall of huge red gift boxes that opened up one at a time to reveal something worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. We stopped in at Tiffany's, had Starbucks in Trump Tower and then walked over to see the tree in Rockefellar Center.

We came back to the apartment, took a ten minute nap then headed out for dinner and the Rockettes. We ate at West Bank Cafe, where they had a 30th Anniversary three-course dinner for $30. Why not, right? Lobster Bisque? Amazing. My chicken and Brad's fish? Amazing. Cheesecake? Well, it IS New York. And our waitress brought us a champagne toast because she noticed our shiny new wedding bands and how we were still playing with them and thought, "I bet they just got married." Nice touch.


The Rockettes performed a stunning show at Radio City Music Hall. They're everything a fomer drill team member could dream of. Excellent precision, immaculate costuming and highly entertaining. The Toy Soldier routine, Twelve Days of Christmas tap and the nativity were probably the highlights of the show for me.


We then began the multi-block trip home on foot. I wore the wrong shoes, so we stopped in at McDonald's on Times Square for Diet Cokes then walked verrrry slowly to the apartment. Tennis shoes for the rest of the trip!

1 comment:

Sara said...

Sounds like a fun day! I am so happy for you two and I hope you are having a blast!